| | |



"Holiday Beefsteak" December 8, 2014
The Brownstone, 351 West Broadway, Paterson, NJ

CLE Seminar - 2.2 credits - "Don't Get Burned By Immigrant Clients" October 22, 2014
Freeholders Room, 401 Grand St., 2nd Floor, Paterson, NJ

View All




401 Grand St.
3rd Floor
Paterson NJ 07505

Phone (973)345.4585
Fax (973)279.6015
Email info@passaicbar.org


History
In April 1889, a meeting attended by thirty-five out of the sixty lawyers in Passaic County was held in Paterson for the purpose of forming a Bar Association for Passaic County. Judge Francis Scott was elected Chairman of the meeting, and William Nelson was elected Secretary. It was unanimously resolved that a Bar Association be formed. The Chairman appointed Messrs. Peter Ryle, DeWitt C. Bolton and former Judge Frank Van Cleve as a committee on organization, while Messrs. James H. Rogers, William Il Lewis, Prosecutor William B. Gourley, Munson Force and C.M. Rust were appointed to the committee on Constitution and By-Laws.

The Certificate of Incorporation of the Passaic County Bar Association was executed on April 19, 1889, and was filed with the Secretary of State on April 20, 1889 under a Special Act of the Legislature of 1877 providing for the incorporation of Bar Associations.


When a General Act for the incorporation of Associations not for pecuniary profit was passed in 1898, the Association decided to file a new Certificate of Incorporation so it would be chartered under the provisions of the later Act. Consequently, a second Certificate of Incorporation was filed on January 28, 1899.

At an organizational meeting held in the District Court Room in the City of Paterson, New Jersey, on May 2, 1889, the Constitution and By-Laws were adopted. The first elected officers of the Passaic County Bar Association were: John Hopper, President; William Pennington, First Vice-President; James W. Griggs, Second Vice-President; John H. Reynolds, Treasurer; William I. Lewis, Secretary; and William B. Gourley, Eugene Emley, Frank Van Cleve, Francis Scott, T.W. Randall, Peter Ryle and James H. Rogers, Managers.

The Certificate of Incorporation of the Passaic County Bar Association was executed on April 19, 1889, and was filed with the Secretary of State on April 20, 1889 under a Special Act of the Legislature of 1877 providing for the incorporation of Bar Associations. When a General Act for the incorporation of Associations not for pecuniary profit was passed in 1898, the Association decided to file a new Certificate of Incorporation so it would be chartered under the provisions of the later Act. Consequently, a second Certificate of Incorporation was filed on January 28, 1899.

The original Certificate of Incorporation of the Association stated that the "object for which this association is formed is to maintain the honor and dignity of the profession of the law, to cultivate social relations among its members, and to increase its usefulness in promoting the due administration of justice." For over one hundred years, the Passaic County Bar Association has remained steadfast to the object established by its founders.


Login
Password

Forgot Password?
New Member?